We are working on a set of Design Profiles. A Design Profile is a package that includes:
1. A Drupal Installation Profile.
2. PSD templates.
3. A design brief.
4. Design resources such as a logo or other supporting graphics.
The purpose of the Design Profile is to give designers and theme builders a clear development path from design to finished theme. They are not for custom theme builds but rather to help designers design generic themes either to sell or open source.
The basic concept we have at this stage is use a fictitious company and design each Profile around the needs of this company. For example they need a corporate brochure site, they need staff blogs, a social networking platform, an Ubercart store and so on.
We are planning 10 such Design Profiles, so thats a lot of work and we want to get these done asap. The ten profiles are based on site types:
- File sharing & Downloads
- Social networking
- Web 2.0 services
We'll also be looking closely over the next days and weeks at http://openatrium.com and its "Features" and how we can use Aegir to roll out test sites based on our profiles for themers and designers.
What you can do to help
* Project managers to write the briefs.
* Site builders to put together each site.
* Developers with knowledge of building installation profiles.
* Designers to build the PSD templates, based on a core template we will design.
* Designers to build the resource packages (logo and other resources).
* Documentation writers to write the guides.
This is a major project and we hope to revolutionize the way Drupal themes are bought into production, and drive the development of more open source themes.
Think of it like this - the end user could download the install profile, select a theme and badda bing, instant beautiful site.
We're very excited about this project but we need help, and we need it now.
Where to register and get involved
Register and login then join the crowd (og group):
Post your skills and what you are interested in doing. Shortly I will post a breakdown of the tasks at hand as a wiki page.
Hope to see you there!
Last updated 24th July, 2009 - 4:04am