- Either serif or sans-serif fonts are fine for body copy and headings, but sans-serif fonts are still more popular for both.
- Common choices for headlines are Georgia, Arial and Helvetica.
- Common choices for body copy are Georgia, Arial, Verdana and Lucida Grande.
- The most popular font size for headings is a range between 18 and 29 pixels.
- The most popular font size for body copy is a range between 12 and 14 pixels.
- Header font size Ã· Body copy font size = 1.96.
- Line height (pixels) Ã· body copy font size (pixels) = 1.48.
- Line length (pixels) Ã· line height (pixels) = 27.8.
- Space between paragraphs (pixels) Ã· line height (pixels) = 0.754.
- The optimal number of characters per line is between 55 and 75, but between 75 and 85 characters per line is more popular.
- Body text is left-aligned, image replacement is rarely used and links are either underlined or highlighted with bold or color.
Source Smashing Magazine: http://bit.ly/Vt4s4
Last updated 4th January, 2011 - 10:31am